Thursday, October 28, 2010

The Announcement

Deciding when to tell our families was so difficult.  Scott and I knew we had to wait a while, but keeping the secret was soooo difficult.  While on vacation with my friend Laura, I developed a bad sinus infection and she just wanted to go to the drug store and get some medication.  Not knowing what I was allowed to take, I insisted on going to see a doctor.  Laura was able to piece it all together and realize that I was pregnant.  I swore her to secrecy and told her that if she told anyone, I wouldn't let her come over and visit with them. 

We decided to tell Paul, Alli, and Declan in person.  We had been planning on a road trip to Colorado to visit them, and since UGA was playing CU, we felt that was the perfect time to make the trip....other than Paul had to fly to Texas for soccer games.  We brought with us some gifts for Declan and inside the bag was a picture frame that read "Cousins".  When Alli opened this she appeared confused.....her response was "this is a nice frame...I like the old timey picture in the background" (the picture that came with the frame).  I thought she was joking, but she wasn't...I looked at my mother, who happened to be there (long story), and my mom asked if she had read what the frame said.  Alli said she did, but still didn't seem to get it.  Mom asked if Declan had any cousins (which he doesn't) and that's when it clicked.  Alli looked at me and was able to say "are you.." and I couldn't hold back my smile any longer.  Needless to say lots of tears of joy between Alli, Mom, and I.  Paul was at soccer practice so we had to wait and do it all over again when he got home.
Fortunately Paul picked up on it a little quicker, but couldn't beleive that my parents had lied to him and told him that IVF didn't work..  He was a little annoyed that we told him about 3 hours before he was about to get on a plane.  I think he wanted to celebrate a little with Scotty.
It is really exciting that Declan is going to have cousins...and pretty close in age to him.  If Paul and Alli can ever move closer I think it would awesome for all of these kids to grow up together.  I can't wait until the first Christmas that all three of them can sit around the tree opening gifts from Santa, going crazy.  It will be so much fun!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment