In the weeks following the news that we were pregnant, I had to go to the doctor every other day for blood work. They wanted to know what my hormone levels were so that if they were low, medication could be prescribed. (By the way, at this point I was still taking so many meds that I had to have a calendar to keep track). With each visit to the doctor I would hear that my HCG level was more than doubling every 48 hours, which they said was a very good sign. One nurse even had a little snicker on her face as she said it.
On September 10 I went for more blood work and an ultra sound, which is performed at 6 weeks. As soon as the ultrasound appeared on the monitor I could see to sacs....I knew there were two babies!! Scott just kept squeezing my hand.
Baby A was a bit smaller than Baby B...we could see the heartbeat on Baby B, but not Baby A. We were both very concerned, but Dr. Fogle said this was normal. Baby B was pronounce 6 weeks 0 days and Baby A was listed as 5 weeks 6 days....heartbeats don't appear until 6 weeks. I was shocked that they were listed as different ages, but it makes sense that they did not fertilize at the exact same time.
We were scheduled to return the following week and were encouraged that we would see two heartbeats at the next visit.
Scott, being the nervous person that he is, didn't want to tell anyone....but we had to ....We each called our mother's immediately when we left the office. During that week, my mother's best friend, Anne Barbuto, died suddenly. Needless to say the news of twins really helped to make my mother feel better. Myra was beside herself with excitement as well. Again, we had to swear them to secrecy.
No comments:
Post a Comment