Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The History

Let me start at the beginning......
After 3 and a half years of trying to conceive, Scott and I and our doctors decided that it was time to try In-Vitro Fertilization (IVF) to try to get pregnant.  Throughout the past 18 months Scott and I have undergone tons of blood tests, ultrasounds, etc. to determine what was the problem and to find a solution.  In December of 2010 we discovered, through an elective surgery, that I had some complications that were causing the problems and we decided to take some time, save some money, and make a final decision on how to proceed.
In May 2010, we took the step to begin the IVF process.  Thankfully we had the support of our family and were able to make the leap into IVF, which is a financially draining, but more so emotionally agonizing process. 
June was a month full of testing and visits to our various doctors to determine if we qualified for the procedure.  Upon notification that we were good candidates, we signed up and in July I began all of the treatments.
July was not a fun month....daily injections, weekly doctor visits, numerous drugs to take....not fun at all.  In fact, it was one of the most stressful times in my life. 
August came, school began, and a new level of stress arrived.  For the first few weeks of school I had to drive to Atlanta every morning for a few hours for blood work and ultrasounds.  The actual IVF procedure is a 2 day event - day 1- egg retrieval and 3 days later - embryo implantation (if embryos are able to form).  We were lucky that the doctors were able to implant 3 embryos. 
The next 2 weeks were pure torture as I looked for signs that the procedure worked...unfortunately there were no true indications.

No comments:

Post a Comment