| Roger's 1st night home...5 weeks old |
So I bet you think this one is going to be about the babies…not this time. This one is about our first boy, Roger. Yes, our big, clumsy, furry dog, Roger.
On July 3rd 2009, Scott and I, along with friends set out to go tubing down the Taccoa River in North Georgia. We had an awesome day and on the way home decided to make a stop at Carey Kirk’s father’s house to hang out at the pool. While there, we realized that Joe’s two Standard Poodles, Romeo and Juliet, had recently had a litter of puppies. When we arrived we noticed 5 little 5 week old puppies running all around and the passing out wherever they were due to exhaustion. Scott paid little attention, but there was one little guy, the only male puppy, that kept coming over to me and passing out in my lap. He was so adorable and fluffy….I knew it was going to be hard to leave him behind.
As we were getting ready to leave, Joe insisted that we take this puppy if we wanted it. He said it could use a good home and if after 24 hours, we changed our minds, we could bring him back. At this point Scott had had a few cocktails and was all for taking the dog home. I was already in love, so I was an easy sell.
That night we allowed our new baby, Roger, to sleep in our bed. Scott woke up the next morning, a little confused, to Roger chewing on his ear. We had NOTHING for a dog at the house…and weren’t really sure we could manage a dog, but…the thought of sending this adorable little guy home was too much. We figured we would make it work. We made an appointment with the vet for some shots, we headed off to Pet Smart for the necessities and our little family began.
At this point, Scott and I had been trying to conceive for 2 ½ years. We now had a new distraction from the disappointment every month. Roger was always there to make us laugh. He is silly, clumsy, smart, and loud. It is hard to get mad at him….he is just too cute. Others may not find him as loveable as we do, but he is my first baby boy.
Do we spoil Roger…you bet we do! Does he get home cooked meals..yes…his favorite is meatloaf with sweet potato, celery, and cranberry sauce. Yes…I do make it from scratch! His favorite treat….Snickerpoodles; Scott’s favorite cookie is a Snickerdoodle…guess who gets his favorite treat more often?????
I know a lot of people think we’re crazy because he can be such a brat sometimes, but what people don’t understand is that Roger is probably the number one reason I did not completely lose my mind during all of the infertility treatments. Prior to the IVF we tried several rounds of IUI, months of fertility drugs (which can make you totally insane), and surgery to find out the root of the problem. Through all of the ups and downs, and there were very few ups I might add, Roger kept me laughing and smiling. I think without him I would have had to seek help. It was definitely the darkest 2 years of my life.
So, when people ask what we’re going to do with Roger if he doesn’t get along with the boys, we say we will figure it out….will we get rid of him….not a chance. If we have to spend a ton of money to fence in the yard, so be it….but this crazy 60lb poodle is truly a life saver…..Am I being overdramatic….some may think so, but if you saw me during this low point, you would understand the healing power of Roger! He is my little angel...
| Roger around 4 months old...roughly 40 lbs..he loves to be held like a baby. |
| Roger today.....large, lazy, and human-like. He had a tough day and needed to nap. |
| Roger's 1st Christmas. |
No comments:
Post a Comment